Heidelberg. German civil servants conclude a private installment loan much more frequently than other employees. This is the result of a recent evaluation by tariff experts from Verivox. 7.8 percent of all loans given by Verivox go to civil servants. Thus, the share of civil servants among borrowers is more than twice as high as their share of total working population.

bilder 115247 article 

Do not be afraid to borrow

But not only do civil servants use a loan above average often. In addition, public servants sometimes differ significantly from other borrowers. For example, they apply for significantly higher loans – on average 15,861 euros. This is 29 percent more than for other credit seekers. Every fifth civil servant wants to buy a car or a motorcycle with the money.

57 percent of all civil servants applying for a loan already have at least one other loan. Among the remaining borrowers, it is only 43 percent. “Officials have a particularly secure income,” says Oliver Maier, Managing Director of Verivox Finanzvergleich GmbH. “You can calculate exactly and you do not have to worry about not being able to repay the loan installments.”

Banks prefer officials

Banks also appreciate this predictability: In more than 90 percent of the cases, civil servants receive an offer on their loan request. The high proportion of civil servants among borrowers is also due to this high commitment rate.

On the other hand, their interest rate brings little advantage in terms of the interest rate. On average, public servants have to pay 6.6 percent less interest than other borrowers for their loans.

“Thus, the influence of civil servant status on interest rates is relatively low,” says Oliver Maier. “With a comparison of providers, borrowers save on average over 35 percent – regardless of their employment. In comparison, the interest rate advantage of civil servants hardly matters. “


The analysis included all loans that were closed within one year via Verivox. Mortgage lending was not included.

Further information

With Verivox you are always up to date. Whether energy, telecommunications, finance or insurance – You can find the latest news and valuable tips in our daily news.

Related topics

proof of income interest